Monday, January 22, 2007

Panguru in the Far North

On New Years day my friend Frank Ingram, who descends from Ngapuhi on his mother's side, took me to this pre-European inspired Pa near Panguru. It was one of the strangest experiences I've had. The small settlement near the Pa has no Europeans living there so it was very interesting. I can't help thinking that Maori have been cheated out of what was their first place of arrival especially after reading what George Bernard Shaw said in the Sunday Star Times ( January 7 2007). European development should be kept out of the Hokianga. There has been so much loss of heritage and it is the natural heritage that is so special. Stopping the development at Te Rae Kai Hau Point seems so much more important to me after this last trip.
Cheers
Pepp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home