Thursday, September 20, 2007

SAVE THE POINT HAS WON IN THE ENVIRONMENT COURT / DEVELOPERS WON'T BE GETTING TE RAE KAI HAU POINT










We Won

In 2000 I began one of my longest political battles . Yesterday it finished in the Environment Court with a ruling that the South Coast is not an appropriate place for an Aquarium. In that time I was supported only by Cr David Zwartz. In 2004 I was joined by Cr Jack Ruben in my opposition. This proposal divided the community.

While the political battle was raging and we were overwhelmed by a developer friendly Council, Save Te Rae Kai Hau Point was formed. It was this group that in the end won the day. Special thanks to Nick Dryden and friends for raising substantial amounts of money to fund this case. Please continue to give to this cause as the bills are still coming in.

Cheers

Bryan Pepperell


2 Comments:

Blogger Peter Sharpe said...

Pepp!

This is a sign! Kerry's slide has started!
I may well send her a cardboard box & a note saying:

"This is to help you on with your new life.... pack up your office & be ready to move out!!"
Signed... a well-wisher!

3:49 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

This is fabulous news. As a relative newcomer to Island Bay from the UK I was really shocked by the aquarium proposal, and hope now that the people that proposed it have seen sense and won't appeal.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home