Tuesday, November 04, 2008

SOPHIE’S CHOICE: THE COURAGE DEFICIT

Dear Editor


I attended the meeting yesterday [3 Nov] where we heard and questioned the Minister for Energy and Climate Change Mr Parker. I found the experience rather disturbing because substantially, it could have been Nick Smith speaking. Both are market fundamentalists…they believe that market mechanisms will eventually work out our problems. [ask Enron or Beare Sterns]. Both believe that economic growth is the key to a better future, despite the fact that only their economic model and cancer require continual growth. Both believe that if you throw enough money at a problem, then technology will come up with a solution.



That the two big parties are so similar is why I have always voted for a minor party. When I asked the Minister why the Government hadn’t done more to deal with climate change and runaway energy consumption, he blathered on about political realities. I said, it requires courage to stand up for the Earth against those political realities…he didn’t respond but later I said his government had a courage deficit and I suspect so would National.



Ron Resnick
Nelson New Zealand

178 Quarantine Rd

03 547 547

1 Comments:

Blogger The City is Ours said...

I was really lucky today Greenpeace send me an A1 poster "Earth Before Politics".

So I got in behind and stood between the 2 parties in the middle of Lambton Quay in Wellington today and watched them throw political rocks at each other.

Greenpeace is the only ocommon sense organisation when it comes to our planet, and I am proud to be a member of it however 2 millione of us is still not enough to make the difference Earth is screaming for.

So you are right neither party is interested in climate change or our "way of life" falling of the cliff with no ambulance waiting at the bottom.

Earth befor politics!!!!!!!!


SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home